Saturday, June 16, 2012

Life Just Got Better for YOUNG Teachers

Hey Everybody! Notice anything new about the teacher blog? I added a quick and easy DISCIPLINE REFERRAL BUTTON for you! It will take you to the super simple referral form that electronically records trouble in your classroom. 


I am adding after-school detention to a drop down box of choices on the form. I will have it once a week and arrangements for pickup will have to be made by me prior to the actual day of detention. This should be a step prior to suspension. You know how I feel about suspension. If they are not in school, we cannot teach them! But I agree there are times that they need to be removed from campus.


I do appreciate that you do not overuse my help in managing your classroom. Research shows that a classroom with well-established rules and procedures usually runs quite smoothly. But there are occasions when you need assistance so that teaching can continue. I want to help any way that I can so that you can do your MAGIC!


I will ask that you use this form, not a paper trail, sticky note, etc. this year. At the end of the year I can simply copy all of the referrals for the year. I really appreciate those that made it a routine to use the system. It is very important to have a paper trail for behavior that persists. The main reason I like it is that I don't have children sitting at the office waiting on me if I am not on campus or have another situation to handle. If it is an emergency or you feel the child must be removed immediately, please note this on the form. 


I get an email promptly when a referral has been made. I then access the spreadsheet and it shows me the information. It might even be helpful for the child to see you typing on the form and allowing them to squirm just a bit before they are called to the office. I never want you to humiliate a child in front of others, but yet a private conference at your computer might send a strong message. 


I am always looking for ways that I can clear the path for you to do what you do best...TEACH! 

No comments: