Saturday, August 25, 2012

EAGER BEAVERS!

Teachers! Great first week...thank you for all you did to make it a super smooth start with our returning and new students.

I know everyone is really to begin AR, but I ran the report and we still have several students who have not taken the STAR Test. This does not include K or 1st. If we go slow to go fast the kids will do better. 

The AR committee will meet on Monday to finalize prizes, talk about the kickoff, and discuss the next steps. I talked with you about meeting with each child to allow them to determine what goal THEY wanted to reach. I promise that this will make a huge difference. It is like the doctor telling you to lose weight versus you saying, "Hey, I think I am going to drop some pounds!" It personalizes it. 

Although it appears that the students are "gung-ho" to begin, there are MANY who are scared they won't measure up, had past failures with AR, or simply don't care for reading. Kids don't particularly (and grownups, too) like to do things they feel they are not good at doing. 

I have made copies for you of your students' last year scores. If they transferred in I was not able to get this information, but perhaps they can share this info with you. Be sure and cover up the other students' results when meeting with them. The students will appreciate this one-on-one attention and the message will be clear. You and your reading success matter to me. I think you can do better or even better than last year. Our stronger readers may have their sights on the TOP 20 Board or even being TOP READER in their grade or for the school. Share the score of the last top Reader, Alayna Pody.

So I encourage you to go slow to go fast. Everyone needs to take the initial STAR Test. Teachers need to meet with each child individually and with the program pulled up, they need to let the child see them setting their goal. We will get you the "how to" instructions to go to this in the program. I would like for you to have the prize brochure (haven't made this yet, idea just popped in my head, kind of scary...I know). Allow them to look at it and decide what THEY will be able to accomplish this year. Of course, I know you will encourage them to go all the way. 

I can't wait to see how this "personal" approach to AR pans out. I have a good feeling....

p.s. It "SO" goes with our theme this year of respecting yourself, others, and the environment. Children need choices in life and in school. We are putting them directly in the driver's seat. 

No comments: